North Shore Environmental Consultants Inc. (North Shore) is an employee-owned, progressive environmental company that specializes in providing environmental management and consulting services to the energy industry throughout western Canada. Since our inception in 2002, North Shore has offered cost efficient and effective solutions to the complex environmental challenges faced by today’s industries. We offer our employees exceptional career development opportunities and an excellent team-oriented working environment.
North Shore is currently seeking an Intermediate/Senior Wildlife Biologist for our Biophysical Team, based out of our Calgary, Alberta office. North Shore’s Biophysical division provides an overall environmental planning and management approach for new developments and operational programs. Key services include regulatory approval applications, pre-disturbance site assessments and environmental monitoring. The successful candidate will possess exceptional knowledge of wildlife related regulations with experience in client and project management. The position will require a mix of field and office work.
- Work closely with a multi-disciplinary team of professionals including Agrologists, Air Quality Specialists, Biologists, Engineers, Foresters, and Hydrogeologists and provide technical leadership and guidance on the wildlife biology and regulations.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to the existing wildlife team and oversee all aspects of data collection, quality assurance, and reporting.
- Develop and execute biophysical assessments for wildlife and wildlife habitat – with additional specialized areas of expertise is beneficial (i.e. caribou, bats, avian, amphibians).
- Develop quality scopes of work, cost estimates, and schedules.
- Provide guidance, training (field and office), and direction to junior and intermediate team members to ensure the completion and accuracy of project scopes of work.
- Prepare, review, and edit technical proposals, regulatory applications, and reports.
- Stay current on the applicable provincial and federal legislation and general trends in the technical field.
- Assist with the preparation and development of best practices, standards, and procedures for our clients to mitigate project risks and support operations.
- Support the growth of the biophysical division by developing relationships with existing and future clients as well as government and regulatory agencies.
- At least 8 years of consulting experience related to biology, preferably conducting and managing wildlife studies.
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. degree in biology, environmental science or a related field.
- Member of the Alberta Society of Professional Biologists.
- Strong wildlife identification skills, especially for birds (visual and auditory).
- Extensive experience designing and leading wildlife programs, including wildlife and wildlife habitat surveys, breeding bird surveys, amphibian surveys, reptile surveys, and pre-construction nest sweeps.
- Working knowledge of the Water Act, Alberta Wildlife Act, Public Lands Act, Species at Risk Act, Migratory Bird Convention Act, and the Master Schedule of Standards of Conditions related to Alberta’s Enhanced Approval Process (EAP).
- Detail-oriented with strong time management and leadership skills.
- Strong field skills and the ability to transfer field knowledge to junior and intermediate staff.
- Effective technical writing skills, including report and proposal preparation, and the experience to provide technical reviews and edits.
- Knowledge on wetland and aquatic habitat assessments for the purposes of wetland impact reporting and project mitigation would be seen as beneficial.
Preference will be given to candidates with regulatory experience in the oil and gas, renewable energy, emergency spill response, and mining industries. Experience with leading and managing teams will also be considered an asset. Compensation will be based upon candidate experience.
North Shore Environmental Consultants Inc. supports a shared commitment to a Representative Workforce that is respectful and reflective of all staff and clients. North Shore strives to build diversity among our staff to increase our ability to provide high quality service to our diverse client base.
Please submit your resume at https://www.northshoreenv.com/apply/. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. For more information about North Shore, please visit our website at www.northshoreenv.com.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.